Mel joined Simpson, Thomas & Associates in 2012, and his hard work, dedication and high client satisfaction earned him the title of partner in 2021, as he has successfully settled nearly 900 cases.
In over 20 years of practice, Mel has taken great pride in representing individuals with their legal problems. Over those 20 years, Mel has learned to break down complex legal issues in a way to help clients understand them, assist them in considering their options and lessen their stress while doing so.
Mel was born and raised in East Vancouver with blue-collar values and work ethic. His personal experiences and values allow him to appreciate and take to heart the difficult circumstances individuals find themselves in. He provides a caring approach, always keeping the client’s best interests and concerns top of mind. As you will find out in his reviews, Mel is often described as compassionate, down to earth, and client-centered.
For personal injury, Mel provides services for clients having suffered soft tissue injury, fractures, TMJ injury, vestibular injury, spinal cord injury, brain injury, depression, PTSD and anxiety. For family law, he provides services to clients for divorce, separation, property division, spousal support, child custody, child support and marriage or cohabitation agreements. Mel appreciates that the court process can be difficult for clients to go through. He works hard to obtain fair, cost-effective results in reaching fair agreements out of court. However, for cases where this is not possible, he possesses the experience and skill to take cases to court successfully. This experience includes a month-long trial in the B.C. Supreme Court.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member, Civil Litigation and Family Law Sections
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association BC Branch, Automobile Insurance Committee, Past Member
- The B.C. Brain Injury Association, Member
- Spinal Cord Injury of B.C., Member
- Disability Alliance, B.C., Member
- Fraser Valley Brain Institute, Member
- Neil Squire Society, Member
- Participates in the Annual Walk for Multiple Sclerosis and the Annual Relay for Life for Cancer.
- Past member of the Canadian Bar Association Automobile Insurance Committee
- Lump-sum settlement with Court approval of future spousal support after a long-term marriage, allowing the parties to move on with their lives without the stress and cost of further litigation, and allowing certainty for their future (2022).
- Settlement of personal injuries in excess of one million dollars arising from fibromyalgia from a low-speed impact rear-end collision, resulting in no repair costs to the vehicles involved (2018).
- Court approved settlement of personal injuries in excess of one million dollars from injuries that were very unusual and largely psychological, resulting in psychosis (2015).
- Multi-party mediated settlement of wrongful death claims for surviving family dependents arising from a publicized motor vehicle crash. The combined settlements were in excess of one million dollars. Complexities of the case included claims based upon incomes earned abroad that were difficult to trace, actuarial evidence regarding income that would have been spent on family members absent death, and the liability of a number of possible defendants, including a highway maintenance contractor and a restaurant serving alcohol (2015).
Outside the courtroom, Mel diligently follows the Denver Broncos NFL football team, as well as local sports teams. He also enjoys paddle boarding, watching movies starring Adam Sandler or Steve Carell (only their comedies!), and anything he can do in spending time with his kids and wife.
Year of Call
2004, British Columbia
- LLB from University of British Columbia (2001)
- Bachelor of Arts Simon Fraser University (1997)
"I am very thankful to have Mel and his team handle my family law case. They provided professional, detailed, prompt response and correspondence. Mel took the time to fully understand my situation before trying to find the best solution. As family law is an emotional challenge at the best of times for those involved, I appreciated that Mel listened, help form a solid, realistic plan with clear explanations and advice to help keep things on track to the best conclusion. Mel is head and shoulders above the other family lawyers I have talked to over the years."Rob M.
"Mel Chaudhary was the best lawyer we could ask for. He provided exceptional service and was dedicated, professional and hard working. He has gained our trust, and we would recommend him to everyone."Navneet Sharma
"Mel Chaudhary took me on as a client when I slipped into major depression as a result of pain from the accident and how I was being treated by the two insurance companies. When I just could not take the stress anymore, Mel brought me hope for the future, when I had none and I had lost everything. I felt cared for, confident, informed and well represented the whole way through. I would highly recommend Mr. Chaudhary as someone who will look out for you and for your best interests."J.S.
"My case was complicated in that my injury was virtually invisible making it hard to prove but Mel knew exactly how to handle this situation. Mel is well connected with very knowledgeable medical experts; he knew exactly who to send me to for the appropriate medical-legal assessments needed to prove my situation. I never felt dropped, in the dark or out of the loop. In fact, I felt quite the opposite. Mel handled my claim in an extremely thorough manner. He is very knowledgeable and skilled in his field. Many thanks to Mel Chaudhary and Simpson Thomas & Associates. I will definitely recommend your services to anyone in need."Madison Yu
"My family was very satisfied with the settlement. Mel Chaudhary came highly recommended through a friend and I would certainly recommend Mel to anyone that requires a personal injury lawyer."P. Sharma
"Mel is very knowledgeable, passionate about his work, and always works in the best interest of his clients. I highly recommend Mel to anyone looking for a personal injury lawyer. Thanks Mel! :)"Tiffany N.
"Mel has been very kind and helpful and carries himself like a true professional and always looks out of the best interest of the people he comes across. Mel is the type of person who will continue to look out for your best interests even after you no longer need his services."Harpreet Chahal