Bernie Simpson C.M.
Senior & Founding Partner
Work phoneemail [email protected]nthomas.com
Work emailfile_download Save contact card
After graduating from the University of British Columbia law school, Bernie founded Simpson & Company, one of the first Vancouver law firms representing victims of car accidents. In 2000, Anthony Thomas, a well-known personal injury lawyer, joined as Partner and the firm name was changed to Simpson Thomas & Associates.
After establishing himself and settling thousands of ICBC claims; with the emphasis on catastrophic cases including brain injury cases and quadriplegia and paraplegia, in 1991, Bernie was elected to the British Columbia Legislature for the Constituency of Vancouver-Fraserview. During his term as a Provincial Member of the Legislature he set out to ensure the Bike Helmet Legislation, which would be the most progressive in Canada, was enacted into law. In order to ensure that the victims of car accidents have the best possible rehabilitation, Bernie travelled to many parts of the world to setup rehabilitation programs including Korea, India and the United States. He has also been instrumental in pioneering the use of Structured Settlements in British Columbia which guarantees, for those seriously injured, monthly tax free payments for the rest of their lives.
Memberships & Professional Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia, A Founding Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member, Personal Injury Section
- The B.C. Brain Injury Association, Member
- Spinal Cord Injury of B.C., Member
- Disability Alliance, B.C., Member
- Fraser Valley Brain Institute, Member
- Neil Squire Society, Member
- Past Director, UNICEF
- Former Director of the Canadian Council of Christian and Jews
- Former Member of Greenpeace
- Bernie actively participates in the betterment of the Vancouver community, having served as Chairman of the Canadian Cancer Society for the Vancouver campaign.
- Bernie was honoured by the International Red Cross for leading the fight for famine relief for Ethiopia. Bernie chaired the Mayor’s Campaign for Famine Relief led by former Vancouver Mayor and Premier, Mike Harcourt.
- Bernie also supports a number of not for profit organizations with both his time and sponsorships.
- Eloisa DeLorenzo International Award by the International Brain Injury Association (awarded in recognition for Bernie’s role in enacting the Bike Helmet Legislation)
- Order of Canada (1990) award for volunteerism, work for various charitable causes, and for activities in the multi-cultural community, particularly the Indo-Canadian and Chinese communities.
- Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal, Golden Jubilee Medal and Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada.
- Certificate of Honour, Red Cross Society
- LLB, University of British Columbia
- Bachelor of Arts/Social Work, University of British Columbia