For over 30 years Anthony has vast experience handling large and complex personal injury claims, including traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, quadriplegia, paraplegia, serious orthopedic injury, psychiatric/psychological injury and severe whiplash and soft tissue injury-related disorders. He has excellent communication and negotiation skills and takes pride in always doing his utmost to get the best possible results for his clients. Anthony was lead counsel in the “Jago wedding case” representing 25 seriously injured victims of a tragic car accident obtaining for the victims, or their estates, significant settlements even although the Abbotsford police, in a 100 page report, put the majority of the blame on the victims. He has attended countless mediations on behalf of his clients, where he has successfully negotiated large settlements and generous compensation. Anthony has extensive courtroom experience having represented clients in the Provincial Court, Supreme Court and Court of Appeal levels. He has enjoyed considerable success in trial, having won many significant damage awards and liability disputes on behalf of his clients. Anthony is recognized as one of the leading trial lawyers in B.C.
After being called to the Bar, Anthony practiced with a Vancouver law firm, focusing primarily on personal injury law. In 2000, he joined Bernie Simpson C.M., a well known personal injury lawyer of Simpson & Company. The firm has since carried on its practice under the name Simpson Thomas & Associates.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia, Member
- Salaam v. Abramovic 2010 BCCA 212: In this Court of Appeal decision, the Court of Appeal overturned the trial judge’s decision dismissing the Plaintiff’s claim. This case has become an often cited case by B.C. Courts when reviewing the common law duty of care of a motorist.
- Mohan v. Khan 2012 BCSC 436: in this case the Plaintiff developed chronic pain disorder following a motor vehicle accident and was awarded a judgment of $673,000. This represents one of the highest judgments ever awarded for a Plaintiff with chronic pain disorder.
- Anthony has presented at Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia (TLABC) and Continuous Legal Education (CLE) seminars on issues relevant to the firm’s practice.
Anthony enjoys spending time with his wife and family cross-country skiing, cycling and being in the great outdoors.
Year of Call
1990, British Columbia
- LLB from the University of Victoria (Awarded the Davis & Company Prize in Administrative Law)
- B.A. from the University of British Columbia
"My severely brain damaged daughter received over $5 million through a tax free structured settlement. Simpson Thomas & Associates professional legal team, headed by Anthony Thomas, put the client as priority and handle all our problems with high efficiency. Choosing this law firm is definitely a wise decision. We appreciate Simpson Thomas & Associates from our heart."E. Ng
"Thank you for taking on my case and supporting me throughout. I’m pleased with our outcome and feel like justice was finally achieved. Your knowledge and professionalism were much appreciated. I wouldn’t hesitate to refer family and friends to you. Hopefully, this is my first and last accident!"Anonymous