Benefits Provided by ICBC to Accident Victims

IMPORTANT:  If your accident occurred on or after April 1, 2019 the following may or may not apply.

Once you have completed the first three steps (notify ICBC, provide a statement, submit the CL22), there are further steps that you must take depending on the type of benefits you need to claim.

Medications, Orthotics, Gym/Pool Passes

ICBC generally pays 100% of medications, orthotics and gym/pool passes, as long as: (1) they are prescribed by a doctor, (2) evidenced by a receipt. So you need to submit a doctor’s note and receipts.

Medical Treatment

ICBC will pay for most prescribed medical treatment, subject to a user fee. They usually pay for physiotherapy, massage therapy, chiropractic and kinesiology. They may also pay travel expenses to attend treatment. Many clinics in BC are setup to bill ICBC directly. To find out, call your clinic before your first appointment (They will need your ICBC claim number). If your clinic does not bill directly, you need to submit the referral and receipt to ICBC as with medications.

Income Loss

ICBC requires records that show your income for the 12 months preceding the accident (e.g. Record of Employment), and a doctor’s note stating that you are totally disabled from working. Doctor’s notes will usually be for a limited time period, so you should revisit your doctor before the previous note lapses and if you are still disabled, get another note. Finally, you need to show that you have been rejected from EI or exhausted your sickness benefits.

Housekeeping Expenses

Housekeeping expenses are available if you are responsible for the majority of the housekeeping duties and you cannot perform those duties because of the accident. You will need a note from a doctor, stating that you are disabled from performing housekeeping tasks, as well as receipts for the cost of hiring a housekeeper/cleaner. ICBC benefits do not cover a family member who takes over those duties.

Survivor Benefits

To claim survivor benefits, you must provide a death certificate, as well as receipts for specific expenses. You may also have to show that you are not earning income and you were dependent on the deceased for income.

Consult with Simpson Thomas

Book A Consultation