Vancouver car accident lawyer Vancouver

What to do if you are in a car accident

Vancouver car accident lawyer Vancouver

You have a legal duty to notify ICBC if a vehicle you own or are driving is involved in an accident that injured someone or damaged property. Even if you are not the owner or driver, you must promptly notify ICBC to preserve your claim to ICBC benefits. There are three steps that you must take:

  1. Notify ICBC of the Accident: call dial-a-claim at 604-520-8222 or 1-800-910-4222. (Ideally within 24 hours of the accident)
  2. Give a statement describing the Accident. (Within 30 days of the accident)
  3. Submit an application for benefits to ICBC (CL22). (Within 90 days of the accident)

Should I consult a car accident lawyer before speaking to ICBC?

Yes, it is always good to consult a car accident lawyer before speaking to ICBC. Everything you say to ICBC is likely being recorded in some manner and can be used to limit or deny your claim. Even if you are entirely in the right, you might omit something or make a mistake, but ICBC will assume that your answers are correct and complete. If there is a dispute over liability, your answers can be used against you. You may also be asked questions about your vehicle usage, to see if you were in breach of your insurance policy. Your answers can be used as admissions to breach your policy. A car accident lawyer can tell you which questions you have to answer and which ones you do not. If you choose to answer questions, you have to answer them truthfully. Once you make a harmful admission, there is little that can be done to fix it.

What information does ICBC want?

When you call ICBC, they will likely ask you:

  • Where and when the crash happened;
  • Licence plate number of each vehicle involved;
  • Driver’s licence number of each driver;
  • Insurance information of any vehicles not insured by ICBC;
  • Your explanation of how the accident happened, and whether you accept fault;
  • Details of any injuries you suffered;
  • Police file number (if police attended); and
  • Witness information (if you have any).

The next step is to give a written statement. If you provide a statement to ICBC without a car accident lawyer, an ICBC representative will usually ask you a series of questions and then prepare a statement for your signature. However, ICBC is not required to guide you in preparing your statement. If you omit to mention something and it does not go into the statement, it will likely be given less weight when you recall it later on.

Getting Medical Attention

If you need medical attention, or are unsure, you should call an ambulance. The emergency medical technicians can evaluate you to determine if it is safe for you to go home, or if you should go to the hospital for further evaluation. If you only develop symptoms after leaving the scene, you should contact your family doctor or go to an emergency room. Finally, if your symptoms worsen or persist longer than expected, you should consult your family doctor or a walk-in clinic.

Contacting the Police

It is always a good idea to contact the police about an accident. This is especially true if:

  1. A vehicle fled the scene
  2. The accident caused serious damage or injury
  3. There is a dispute about who caused the accident
  4. You have concerns about the other driver or vehicle (e.g. uninsured, impaired)

Getting your vehicle repaired

If your vehicle was damaged, ICBC will usually ask that you bring it in to be examined. Depending on your insurance coverage, ICBC may repair your vehicle or offer to pay you what (in their opinion) was its market value immediately before the accident. They will want you to sign a release, and if you sign it, you are agreeing not to make any future claim regarding your vehicle damage. You may want to consult a car accident lawyer before signing the release.

Set up a free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer today.  Call us today at 604-689-8888 or book online.

Book Your Free Legal Consultation

Book Now